Mundie Moms

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Book Review - Princess for Hire


By: Lindsey Leavitt
Published by Disney Hyperion
Released March 29, 2010
Source: Bought
4 stars- I really liked this book. Go pick it up.

Synopsis (from www.princessforhire.com):
When a flawlessly dressed woman steps out of an iridescent bubble and wants to know, like, now if you’d like to become a substitute princess, do you

a) run
b) faint
c) say Yes!

For Desi Bascomb, who’s been longing for a bit of glamour in her Idaho life, the choice is a definite C–that is, once she can stop pinching herself. As her new agent Meredith explains, Desi has a rare magical ability: when she applies the ancient Egyptian formula “Royal Rouge,” she can transform temporarily into the exact lookalike of any princess who needs her subbing services. Dream come true, right?

Well, Desi soon discovers that subbing involves a lot more than wearing a tiara and waving at cameras. Like, what do you do when a bullying older sister puts you on a heinous crash diet? Or when the tribal villagers gather to watch you perform a ceremonial dance you don’t know? Or when a princess’s conflicted sweetheart shows up to break things off–and you know she would want you to change his mind?

In this hilarious, winning debut, one girl’s dream of glamour transforms into something bigger: the desire to make a positive impact. And an impact Desi makes, one royal fiasco at a time.


Sometimes when you read a book, you feel like you're watching every scene as it unfolds. You know the feeling when details jump out at you and you can see and hear the characters so very clearly? Well, I certainly experienced just that when I read Princess for Hire.

I was so moved by Desi, a girl who wants to be accepted as her tee-shirt-creating, classic-movie-watching self but is relegated to working an after school job dressed up as a groundhog for a local mall's pet shop. It's the kind of job where you're bound to stumble into your crush and his girlfriend who just happens to be your former best friend. But it's this very job at Pets Charming that leads to a change in Desi's life. Sometimes when you make a wish, well, it can lead to an entirely different life. Can't it?

In this case, it does. Desi is transported out of her everyday, humdrum life and through the help of Meredith Pouffinski, Princess Agent Extraordinaire, Desi becomes a Princess Sub. You see princess live exciting lives but sometimes they need a break. So who can step in for them? Why a Sub, of course.

You can imagine that this leads to some very funny and unexpected situations. I loved every one of them. I also loved the idea that princesses needed a break. It reminded me of one of my favorite movies, "Roman Holiday". You know the one where Audrey Hepburn plays a princess who needs a holiday? Well, it'll come as no surprise that it's one of Desi's favorite movies, too.

Lindsey has a delightful way of presenting the whimsical magic system, a plot line that pulls you in and a completely relatable main character. So if you feel like you always wanted to try your hand at being a princess, be sure to read Princess for Hire; it'll open up that What If moment for you. I know it did just that for me. And much to my relief, there is a sequel in the works which will be released on May 3, 2011. I now need to know what happens between Desi and a certain boy.

I also want to mention that this is a perfect book for a mom and a tween daughter to share. My 7.5 year old has been glancing at the cover and, although she's not an official tween yet, it's just the kind of book that we would read together.

4 comments:

  1. Fantastic review!!! I'm excited to find out what happens in P4H2

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, me too...LOL...it's such a great premise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to read this book!
    looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. DaydreamerN - I think you will like it. I really thought it was a well well written story with characters I loved!

    ReplyDelete

Labels