Mundie Moms

Thursday, September 16, 2010

Book Review- Losing Faith

By Denise Jaden
Published by Simon Pulse
Released on September 7th, 2010
Source- Simon and Schuster
3 stars- It was a Good Read

When Brie's sister, Faith, dies in a fall from a cliff, Brie's world falls apart. As she goes through the bizarre and devastating process of mourning the sister she never understood, Brie must also contest with the increasingly distant parents, her boyfriend's betrayal, and her sudden outcast status at school.

Once she's over the initial shock of Faith's death, Brie encounters more questions than closure: Certain facts about the way Faith died just don't line up. She soon uncovers Faith's role in a dark and twisted religious cult...a cult that wants Bree as a member. (From from the back of the ARC).

Losing Faith is a story about love, and loss, and the some times complicated relationships we have with our family and friends. I liked Brie's character. She grew up a lot after her sister's death. She went from being self centered, not having a very close relationship with her sister and finding ways to sneak away to see her popular boyfriend, to a very relatable character, as she looks into finding out what happened to Faith the night she died.

It was heart breaking reading how alone Brie felt after Faith's death. Brie's parents are so lost in their own grief, they're not much of a support for her. Her so called friends oust her and her boyfriend cheats on her. It's during this time that she learns a lot more herself, especially after she becomes friends with someone she never gave a second thought to. I really liked Tessa. She's the scary goth chick who doesn't put up with anything, but has this soft side that she only exposes to Brie. Brie and Tessa become close friends and they work together to find out what happened to Faith. Even though the cover says there's a religious cult, don't let that scare you from reading Losing Faith. What Brie uncovers is a girl who's mentally not well and has a following that consists of very few people (I can't give more away or it will be spoil some of the plot).

Denise does a great job with each of her characters. Each character has a part of them they don't want others to know about, and yet with how broken they each are, they all have an inner strength that I was really drawn to. My favorite character is Alis. He was not at all how I thought he'd be when he's first introduced. The relationship between Alis and Bree kept me reading. I wanted to find out more about them. Their relationship is both sweet and raw all at the same time. I'm sure that doesn't really make sense. They're both loners, have dwelt with grief that no one else would understand and have a real, honest, believable connection I wanted to keep reading more about.

Losing Faith is a heartbreaking, real, satisfying read. I think Denise did a good job with the romance, the subject of love, life and death, as well as religious cults. There's a little bit of everything in Losing Faith.

7 comments:

  1. This one is on it's way to me and I'm very excited to read it. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! I have this one on my TBR list. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A lot of people are telling great things about this book. It's in my wish list, but, well... She is really big.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked it. It took me a little bit to get into it, but once I did I really couldn't put it down. It's a quick read with a sweet romance in it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We just gave a copy of this book away but I didn't have a chance to read it. Thanks for the awesome review. Have posted it on YALITCHAT.ORG with link here. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aw, thank you so much Georgia! xox's

    ReplyDelete

Labels