Mundie Moms

Monday, September 27, 2010

Book Review-Torment by Lauren Kate

By Lauren Kate
Published by Delacorte Press (Random House)
To Be Released on September 28th, 2010
Source: Random House
4.5 Stars- This one book I'll be reading over again

How many lives do you need to live before you find someone worth dying for?

Hell on earth. That's what it's like for Luce to be apart from her fallen angle boyfriend, Daniel. It took them eternity to find one another, but now he has told her he must go away. Just long enough to hunt down the Outcasts-immortals who want to kill Luce. Daniel hides Luce at Shoreline, a school on the rocky California coast with unusually gifted students: Nephilim, the offspring of fallen angles and humans.

At Shoreline, Luce learns what the Shadows are, and how she can use them as windows to her previous lives. Yet the more Luce learns, the more she suspects Daniel hasn't told her everything. He's hiding something-something dangerous.

What if Daniel's version of the past isn't actually true? What if Luce is really meant to be with someone else? (from back cover of the ARC)

*NO spoilers*
I love this cover! It's so captivating and it's so perfect for the book. This sequel to Fallen is such an amazing journey for Luce. Lauren Kate swept me right into her amazing world building, and up to the beautiful rocky shores of the pacific coast where Shoreline rests. What came as a surprise for Luce and myself, was the temporary truce Daniel and Cam have, as they both want to protect Luce. Together they decide to send her to Shoreline, but danger seems to follow Luce everywhere. What I love about Luce, is that she doesn't do what Daniel or anyone else wants her to do. She doesn't just stay within the safety of Shoreline's property. Needing to fill the time when Daniel isn't with her, Luce is on a quest to learn about her past. It's this independence that I love and I wanted more from Luce in Fallen.

Feeling like Daniel is keeping things from her, she wants to learn more about her past lives, the families that have been left behind. It's not an easy task, as Luce will come to see the emotional side of losing someone you love. In her quest to find out about herself and her past, Luce not only puts herself in danger, but the new friends she's made and the old friends who have come from Sword and Cross to help her. The more Luce finds out, the more confused she is, about her future and about her and Daniel. I was so wrapped up in Luce's journey and all that's going on that by the time I was done with the book, I wanted to re-read it. The setting is beautiful, the characters were real and people I'd love to meet, and the story line is fantastic.

Luce grows a lot in Torment and finds the inner strength she needs to make a tough decision that left me in both awe of Luce's character and yelling no at the same time. While I got some answers I was hoping for, the cliff hanger at the end of Torment leaves me wanting the next book. There's no shortage of a love triangle. New characters are introduced and some of them left me wondering what their motives are and what decisions Luce is going to make.

Lauren Kate has the perfect blend of self discovery, romance, yearning, and action that I was completely absorbed in the world she's created. Torment will leave Lauren Kate fans wanting more and feeling satisfied with what they get. I think it will leave those who are torn between liking Daniel or Cam, at a crossroads. Honestly, after reading Torment I can't decide which one Luce should pick, OR if she should pick the new character. With a battle fought and a decision made that may have severe consequences, this is one sequel who's ending will leave you wanting more.

Be sure to pick up Torment when it's on sale tomorrow! Don't miss our interview with Lauren and our Torment giveaway, which will be posted later this week.
You can find out more here-http://laurenkatebooks.net/

2 comments:

  1. Wow! A new character!! I was already struggling between Cam and Daniel but a third character... I so want this book. I loved Fallen and I absolutely adore both the covers (though I think I like Torment best). I have pre-ordered my copy, hopefully it will be here for the weekend. Great review! I am really, really excited now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool. I will definitely pick it up. In the first book, I liked the mythology once it was revealed.

    ReplyDelete

Labels