Mundie Moms

Monday, September 27, 2010

Mundane Monday #52


"Nobody should get nothing on their birthday." He was peeling the second apple, the skin coming away in long curling strips. "Birthdays should be special. My birthday was always the one day my father said I could do or have anything I wanted."

"Anything?" She laughed. "Like what kind of anything did you want?"

"Well, when I was five, I wanted to take a bath in spaghetti."

"But he didn't let you, right?"

"No, that's the thing. He did. He said it wasn't expensive, and why not if that was what I wanted? He had the servants fill a bath with boiling water and pasta, and when it cooled down..." He shrugged. "I took a bath in it."

Servants? Clary thought. Out loud she said, "How was it?"

"Slippery."

"I'll bet." She tried to picture him as a little boy, giggling, up to his ears in pasta. The image wouldn't form. Surely Jace never giggled, not even at he age of five.

- City of Bones, page 310

4 comments:

  1. One of my favourite scenes of the series for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. It's beautiful and heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that part. It makes you really relise that despite everything, all the sarcasm and the walls he puts up, he is human and fragile. Aww I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that Chapter in COB!! That part made me laugh!! And smile!!

    ReplyDelete

Labels