Mundie Moms

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Thoughtful Thursday - ConKerr Cancer: A Case for Smiles


I don't know about you, but even though I don't consider myself a Quilter, I seem to have quite a fabric stash going just from my little craft projects and rag quilts. When I came across ConKerr Cancer's website, it suddenly made sense to me. I needed to de-stash anyaway and what a wonderful way to accomplish this task.

Please take a moment to read their inspirational mission statement: "A Case for Smiles - Helping children feel special while battling life changing illnesses." 
 In just over two years, ConKerr Cancer has …

•Delivered over 240,000 cheerful pillowcases to sick children in hospitals across the country.

•Established 117 chapters (so far!) serving children in 203 hospitals and pediatric hospices across the United States, Canada, South Africa, UK and Israel.

•Recruited thousands of volunteers – young and old - to sew and donate pillowcases.

•Recognized nationally by Martha Stewart, Omni Media, Talbots, Bank of America, Pfaff, and Loreal.

They even have a tutorial on How To Sew A Pillowcase. Now these are definitely my kind of people because sometimes we all need to be shown the simplest of tasks.


You may wonder who inspired this wonderful cause:
ConKerr Cancer started when Cindy Kerr’s son was diagnosed with cancer in 2002 and she began making pillowcases to brighten up his hospital room and to put a smile on his face.  He loved it and so she began making pillowcases for other children on the Oncology Unit at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.
You can read a moving tribute to her son  here.

Please join Mundie Moms in making pillowcases from those fabric stashes I know are in your craft areas. There is a link to Drop Off Locations on the right hand nav bar, here.  Now go and make a case for smiles!

2 comments:

  1. This is an awesome organization!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I reseached it, I realized just how awesome it was. I'm making a few cases now for them.

    ReplyDelete

Labels