Mundie Moms

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Book Review- Slice of Cherry

By Dia Reeves
Published by Simon Pulse
Released on January 4, 2011
Source: ARC from the Publisher
4 Stars-It's a great read, go pick it up!

Synopsis (from Simon & Schuster): Kit and Fancy Cordelle are sisters of the best kind: best friends, best confidantes, and best accomplices. The daughters of the infamous Bonesaw Killer, Kit and Fancy are used to feeling like outsiders, and that's just the way they like it. But in Portero, where the weird and wild run rampant, the Cordelle sisters are hardly the oddest or most dangerous creatures around.
It's no surprise when Kit and Fancy start to give in to their deepest desire—the desire to kill. What starts as a fascination with slicing open and stitching up quickly spirals into a gratifying murder spree. Of course, the sisters aren't killing just anyone, only the people who truly deserve it. But the girls have learned from the mistakes of their father, and know that a shred of evidence could get them caught. So when Fancy stumbles upon a mysterious and invisible doorway to another world, she opens a door to endless possibilities….

Slice of Cherry was deliciously twisted, I devoured it. This is the first book I read by Dia Reeves and it was INSANELY good, I didn’t know what I was getting myself into when I started reading it, at first I was a little freaked out about it but it soon begin to grow on me and I couldn’t put it down for long.

Slice of Cherry is the story of two very disturbed sisters that have always been very close to each other but felt like outcasts in their town since their father was a world-known murderer. Even though they are very close they are also very different, at first I thought Fancy was the good sister and Kit the really bad one but as their characters develop I could see that they were both CRAZY! The sisters begin to get a thrill out of killing, it starts off randomly but then they begin to do it as a job and start killing off the bad people in their town. I loved the sisters, even thought they were a bit psychotic and sometimes gave me goosebumps. I just wanted to know more about them, the Turner boys that have a connection with them and this very dark story.

Since I hadn’t read Bleeding Violet I didn’t know much about the town at first I thought it was just a normal town but it wasn’t, there was a lot of creepy things going on in it that was a surprise when I started to learn more about the creatures lurking in the dark and how the townspeople are so used to it and act like it’s an everyday thing, I just thought the only weird and crazy were the sisters but I was wrong. It was intriguing and kept me glued to the pages, I loved the way Dia describes everything so richly that I didn’t have any problem picturing every character and the setting in my mind.

Slice of Cherry is definitely different and gory but also captivating that you just can’t seem to want to put it down, it grips you with its claws and you don’t want it to let you go until the whole story unfolds, and once it does you are left stunned. I definitely want more from Dia Reeves, her writing made me reminisce of the days when I used to read nothing but Stephen King, I love those wicked stories that leave you thinking about them for days. Now I don’t think Slice of Cherry will be for everyone, it does have a lot of language and sex content in it, plus some gruesome scenes, so definitely not for younger readers. I also want to warn you that if you have a weak stomach like me, do not eat while reading it because it might make you squeamish. Even with the nausea that it caused me at one point I still enjoyed it, a lot, and cannot wait to get my next fix on the next Dia Reeves novel.

4 comments:

  1. Great review Cynthia! Dia's writing has a way of holding you captive to her book. It's dark and creepy, and yet it's something you can't put down.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds cool. I love the cover too. Especially the title's font.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cynthia, what a wonderfully written review!!! You definitely got me interested and when I'm in the mood for something creepy, I will pick up Dia's book. :]

    ReplyDelete
  4. MundieMoms- It is!!! I never read anything by her but now I'm hooked, it's sooo different from everything out there.

    Charlotte- I loved the cover too,so creepy and it fits the story perfectly!

    Sophie- Thanks!! =D It's definitely creepy but sooo good!

    ReplyDelete

Labels