Mundie Moms

Sunday, February 27, 2011

Book Review- Mieradome

Published by Author House
Released on November 20th, 2010
Source- ARC from the author for review
2.5 Stars- I wanted to like it more than I did

Mieradome pulls the reader into a unique fantasy world of faeries and technology, a different take on the Alice in Wonderland concept. The story revolves around a young girl named Amavia who believes she is a human girl, but slowly comes to find she is a faery in the world of Mieradome. Slowly who Amavia was began to unravel to show the truth; the truth that she just may be the evil they need to destroy. This is the first novel in a series, and gives a glimpse of what is to come for the main character Amavia (quoted from Goodreads).

Mieradome has a great premise with it's magic, fairytale lore, and at times it reminded me of A Mid Summer Night's Dream as the story reads like volume of classic literature.

I really loved the story's idea- the main character is a girl, Amavia who's really a fairy living in the human world, but she doesn't know who she is until she journeys back to the place her mother took her from years ago. Upon returning to Mieradome, Amavia finds out more of her heritage and who she really is. There's some great twists, some action, a great fairy lore and a nice romance that I found really intriguing. Even with a great story line, a great love triangle between Cadin who I adored and then Garin, who really surprised me, and a strong protagonist, I felt the story fell short for me.

I had a hard time connecting with the story, as there were a few things missing for me. There were times I felt scenes were too rushed and other scenes left a little incomplete. Having some key things mentioned in the middle and towards the end of the book was a little frustrating, as I would have love to see these things explored more through out the story. The characters weren't as in-depth as I would have liked them to be, and felt I really didn't get to know them/connect them, as I wasn't able to understand or read what they were thinking/feeling. There were a lot of characters introduced into the story, which was a little confusing at times. In the end I felt I got to know more about the beautifully detailed world, than I did the characters. There were some great characters introduced into the story that I really wanted to know more about.

There is a lot that goes on in Mieradome, and I really enjoyed the history and the world building with the story. I enjoy a well written love triangle, which the story has. I started off really adoring Cadin, I mean it was hard not to, but then Kate threw a total surprise at me with Gavin. I also like the twists with Amavia's mom. I won't say more, as I want to leave this spoiler free. Being the first book in a series, there were a lot of questions answered and some left unanswered, which I'm looking forward to finding answers for in the next book. While I'm mixed on my feelings with the book, I would recommend to those who enjoy reading about fairies. I am looking forward to reading the sequel, as I want to know what happens with some of the characters and the direction the story takes.

2 comments:

  1. I have always wondered about this book, but haven't heard much about it, especially in regards to the romance. And you know I need romance, so thanks for pointing that out in your review. :-) I think I might check this one out from the library. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. DJ- Thank you for your comment! There were some great elements to the book that I enjoyed, and other things I felt were a little lost. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think about the book.

    ReplyDelete

Labels