Mundie Moms

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday-Between Shades of Gray

Published by Penguin
To Be Released March, 2011

Lina is just like any other fifteen-year-old Lithuanian girl in 1941. She paints, she draws, she gets crushes on boys. Until one night when Soviet officers barge into her home, tearing her family from the comfortable life they've known. Separated from her father, forced onto a crowded and dirty train car, Lina, her mother, and her young brother slowly make their way north, crossing the Arctic Circle, to a work camp in the coldest reaches of Siberia. Here they are forced, under Stalin's orders, to dig for beets and fight for their lives under the cruelest of conditions.

Lina finds solace in her art, meticulously—and at great risk—documenting events by drawing, hoping these messages will make their way to her father's prison camp to let him know they are still alive. It is a long and harrowing journey, spanning years and covering 6,500 miles, but it is through incredible strength, love, and hope that Lina ultimately survives. Between Shades of Gray is a novel that will steal your breath and capture your heart. (quoted from Penguin's site).

I am really looking forward Between The Shades of Gray's release. I have already started reading it, and let me just say, this book will move you in a way that few books can and it will be hard to put it down. It's a thought provoking read that will stir up a variety of emotions in you. I really think it's a book that will be talked about for years to come! Be sure to visit Ruta's site here to learn more about Between The Shades of Gray. You can watch a video of Ruta here-

Ruta Sepetys discusses her upcoming novel, Between Shades of Gray from Penguin Young Readers Group on Vimeo.



Waiting On Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted at Breaking the Spine, and allows us to spotlight a book that we are eagerly awaiting to be released.

7 comments:

  1. This was SUCH a good book. Very moving - heartbreaking yet inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is on my list too, it's one of those that's just going to be so intense and emotional. Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I keep hearing everyone gush about this book!! I'm so adding it to my wishlist too.

    Hope you get a chance to stop by Gone with the Words and check out what I'm Waiting On! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to reading this. Have to make sure I have a box of Kleenex on hand when I do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to read this one either. Ruta is a really great person, it was fun talking to her when i was interviewing her for my new blog feature.

    I'm doing a series on my blog for debut authors and the first post went up today, come check it out? http://blackfingernailedreviews.blogspot.com/2011/02/2011-debut-author-incites-beth-revis.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds so sad.
    Normally I say Happy Reading - instead I'll simply say I hope you enjoying the story.

    Mine choice is here:
    http://lulilut.blogspot.com/2011/02/waiting-on-wednesday-tris-and-izzie.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. You guys have to watch the video that is out about the book. It's very moving and definitely have some kleenex w/ you when you watch it.

    Khadija- awesome feature!

    Jess and Lulilut- great IMMs!

    ReplyDelete

Labels