Mundie Moms

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Audiobook Review - Hush, Hush

Read by: Caitlin Greer
Source: Publisher
Rating: 4.5 out of stars - I really enjoyed this one. You will, too.

Synopsis (from Simon and Schuster): Romance was not part of Nora Grey's plan. She's never been particularly attracted to the boys at her school, no matter how hard her best friend, Vee, pushes them at her. Not until Patch comes along. With his easy smile and eyes that seem to see inside her, Patch draws Nora to him against her better judgment.


But after a series of terrifying encounters, Nora's not sure whom to trust. Patch seems to be everywhere she is and seems to know more about her than her closest friends. She can't decide whether she should fall into his arms or run and hide. And when she tries to seek some answers, she finds herself near a truth that is way more unsettling than anything Patch makes her feel.


For she is right in the middle of an ancient battle between the immortal and those who have fallen -- and, when it comes to choosing sides, the wrong choice will cost Nora her life.

You know that moment when you take a well-loved book off the shelf and you re-read it? Well, I had the pleasure of listening to Becca Fitzpatrick’s Hush, Hush recently and I realized that approximately a year and a half has passed since I first read the story. But soon after the prologue started, I remembered that I was going to be in big trouble. All those questions came back to me: why the buckle, what about the girl? And my mind just raced from there.

One of the things I enjoy about an audiobook, besides exercising in the morning with my favorite fictional characters, is that the pace is slowed down for me. I get to listen to the action. Hear the emphasis the actor places on the words and that often changes the experience for me. Simon and Schuster picked a wonderful actress, Caitlin Greer (her audiobook credits include Hush Hush's sequel, Crescendo and Nina Malkin’s Swoon) to read the book. And Caitlin handles all of the characters with such familiarity and ease, I felt like I was visiting old friends. Who can forget this description of Patch, at the very beginning of the story (page 11):
His black eyes sliced into me, and the corners of his mouth tilted up. My heart fumbled a beat and in that pause, a feeling of gloomy darkness seemed to slide like a shadow over me. It vanished in an instant, but I was still staring at him. His smile wasn’t friendly. It was a smile that spelled trouble. With a promise.
I could feel Nora’s curiosity, worry and excitement and you will, too. With Becca’s words and Caitlin’s narration, you will find yourself remembering that first moment of “Who is this dark eyed, mysterious boy named Patch?” You will find yourself looking forward to each chapter and that familiar, heart-pounding pace. Remember that spiraling climactic scene? Oh yeah, wait until you listen to it. You may get the same questions I did: “Mama, are you okay?”

Before summer releases and sequels start to hit the shelves, download or pick up an audiobook of one of your favorite stories instead of re-reading it. I guarantee that you will have a different experience while listening to the very same words. And if you start with Hush, Hush, you won’t be sorry. I mean, who doesn’t remember that scene, you know the one, at the very end? Yeah. THAT one. Imagine listening to Patch say, “More?”

For a sample of the audiobook,scroll to the middle of Simon and Schuster's Hush, Hush page and you'll see the sample audio link, here.

4 comments:

  1. It took me a while before I tried my first audio book and I have been addicted ever since. I have not read Hush Hush, but based on your wonderful review I think I will add this one to my list of must have's. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome review Sophie!! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jan von Harz - Hush, Hush was one of the first angel-lore (not a spoiler because, umm, look at the cover) I read after Cassie's. Loved the lore and the characters. It definitely stands up to a re-listen or a re-read.

    MMs - Thank you. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wasn't sure what to think when I picked up this book. I almost never read paranormal-type books, and it's even rarer that I read books aimed towards the teen crowd. I thought I'd end up reading just a few chapters, and then setting the book aside for a more adult one. Much to my surprise, I ended up being very drawn in by this book, and not only finished it but finished it in just two days:-). There's plenty of action here, with a little mystery thrown in to keep you reading. And the attraction between Patch and Nora certainly throws off some sparks. Overall, this was a fun and entertaining teen read, and I am interested in reading the sequel when it comes out.

    ReplyDelete

Labels