Mundie Moms

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Book Review: Tiger's Quest

Published by Splinter
Released on June 7th, 2011
Source- Book from publisher for review
4.5 stars- A Fabulous Sequel!

Kelsey Hayes is no ordinary college freshman. In fact, the eighteen-year-old girl has just returned from India, where she risked her life—and her heart—to rescue a handsome Indian prince from a terrible curse. Back home in Oregon, Kelsey is determined to move on, despite the lingering feelings she has for the man she left behind. She meets Li, a completely average guy who offers the promise of an ordinary, curse-free life. But just when Kelsey is ready to move on, Ren reenters her life, on a quest to reclaim her heart. Danger threatens their newly rekindled love and to save him, Kelsey must journey with someone else—a man who wants her for himself. The saga begun in Tiger’s Curse continues in Tiger’s Quest, as Kelsey finds herself in an epic battle between good and evil. From the shores of the Pacific Northwest to the jungles of India, the mountains of Nepal and Tibet, and the mystical realm of Shangri-la, this suspenseful tale of love, sacrifice, and redemption is not to be missed

Everything about Colleen's writing is captivating. From her vividly detailed settings, to her in depth characters, the action and heart pounding adventure, the alluring mythology and the wonderful romance, Tiger's Quest is a sequel that has it all.

I loved being swept back into Colleen's world. The story picks up right where it left off, but this time there's a lot more twists, heartache, suspense and an ending that's a killer. Kelsey herself has to deal with her fair share of unfortunate events, and even though I was a bit frustrated with some of the things she does in the story, I still admire her for all she has to endure. She's a strong character who's journey to break an ancient curse is full of danger, adventure and in the end makes her a more determined person.

This time around I found myself really torn between the two brothers. I absolutely loved Ren and Kelsey in Tiger's Quest and the direction their relationship takes, but when Kelsey's life is threatened Ren turns to his brother Kishan for help. Let me just say, each brother has something to offer to not just Kelsey, but to the story. Ren is the romantic and Kishan is the brutally honest, upfront brother. What I admired about both of them is seeing their more vulnerable side when they're alone with Kelsey. I loved how fiercely protective they are of her, especially with everything that is going on. I loved the way in which Colleen has developed both Ren and Kishan. They've both strong, independent characters who are dependent on the love of one girl. This is definitely a very well written, well developed, realistic love triangle. Though both brothers are often times at odd with each other, it wasn't hard to see the unspeakable brotherly love they have for each other.

The most memorizing aspects of the story are Colleen's rich detail to history, her mythology and her breath taking settings. From the beautiful lush green hills of Oregon, to the jungles of India and mountains in Tibet, every where the story took me to came alive. I loved this journey. I am huge fan of the love story that is at the heart of this series. In this sequel I really liked how Colleen handled some of the more realistic cultural differences between Ren and Kelsey's relationship, and her worries. It made the story that much more realistic, and I'm a sucker for a well written love story, which this is. At the heart of this story is a lesson about true love. Unconditional, non judgmental love that includes sacrifice, trust, friendship and more.

This is a wonderful series and one I highly recommend. It's not often I can sit and read book that completely grabs my attention emotionally and in the end leaves me in complete shock over the events that just happened. I can honestly say that November's release for book three, Tiger's Voyage can't get here fast enough. On a side note I want to mention the covers. I love that each cover in the series has featured one of the brothers in his tiger form, which is very fitting for each book and the book's story.

4 comments:

  1. I haven't read the first one yet! It's going on my TBR now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm absolutely in love with this series! It's probably my favorite right now. And I agree that her settings are something that makes her books really incredible. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually bought both of these books and am looking forward to reading them. Great review, MMs, I love it when a sequel s better than the first hook of a series.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oohhh...Tigers Curse is sitting my pile waiting for me....

    ReplyDelete

Labels