Mundie Moms

Sunday, June 5, 2011

Dear Wall Street Journal

Dear Wall Street Journal,

I read your article that you posted here last night and I just wanted to take a moment to point a few things that you forgot to mention. No I'm not slamming your article, but I tried to see your point, and from the get go I didn't get how someone could stand in the YA section and only see the negative. The YA books you discussed in your article mirror what teens are dealing with today. The YA genre has a vast assortment of books from paranormal, fantasy, chick lit to what you deem as "dark", but what I like to call a realistic, thought provoking read. By no means are these kind of books for everyone, but they are books some teens need.

YA books like the ones you mentioned allow teens to realize "they're not the only ones". Real life isn't always a walk in the park nor is it full of the happily ever after fairy tale endings. In fact, many of the fairy tales we all grew up with don't have happy endings. Like life, some YA books are raw, gritty and dark, which reflects life for many teens. They deserve to have books that reflect their reality. The good, the bad, the clean, the ugly and everything in between. YA books as a whole can inspire their readers and remind adults to be more openminded, to stop and look at the world through the eyes of the younger generation. Believe me, what kids are dealing with now is way more than I had to deal with growing up.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to read a clean cut YA book (which there are a lot of in YA), but to say that there shouldn't be books that reflect reality is wrong. I don't have teens yet, but I've got books on my bookcases that I'll be reading with my kids when they hit that stage. Reading is another way for me to connect with my kids. Yes, I read with my kids everyday. Reading is empowering and it's something I want to instill in them at a young age. Reading inspires, opens minds and moves people to action, all of which happened last night on twitter via the #YASaves hash tag.

What your post has failed to mention is how countless authors have inspired teens and even saved their lives and no I'm not being dramatic. If they had the chance to sit in the auditorium last fall at the Austin Teen Book Festival and hear Ellen Hopkins read just snippets from a fraction of some of the 100's of emails she has received from teens who's lives she has saved, not only would you have been moved to tears like the countless number of those in attendance were, but you'd realize the power YA and even some MG books have. It's authors like Ellen Hopkins, Holly Black & countless of others who have not only saved lives, but they've inspired them. Authors are connecting with their readers like never before.

When I was a tween Stephen King's books sat next to R.L. Stine's in my Middle Grade library. Growing up I didn't have this amazing selection of books to read. Did I have a traumatic home life? Not at all, but being an adult and knowing friends who did, the YA books I read and review now I know would have made a huge difference in their lives, had these books existed then. Yes WSJ there are gritty, real, horrifying YA books that depict reality for so many teens, but there's also the clean cut, wholesome books too and everything in between. The gritty, and what you may deem as "dark" are a reality to so many kids, and it's those teens who need these books since society doesn't want to "talk about" what many of the things they are dealing with. I recently read Cut, and does that make we want to go to that? Absolutely not, but I read it so that someone who's reading my blog who is dealing with that, or is a parent who has a teen who's dealing with it, and isn't sure how to talk with them about it may find my review and want to go pick up Patricia's book to find some sort of help or inspiration from it.

YA authors don't just make this stuff up. Many of them experienced some of the "dark" things they write about it. You know what, not only do they give teens who have dwelt with this stuff in silence a voice, they also inspire their readers to keep their lives clean. What you failed to mention is how these books have kept teens from become drug addicts, alcoholics, and so forth. And if they have struggled with stuff like this, than you've also failed to mention how these books have helped them over come their addictions, how they've got through their abuse and how books became their own source of hope in world full of darkness. Not everyone gets to have a happy home life and books are some teens only source of hope. Don't believe me? Go read the #YASaves trends and be sure you grab your box of kleenex. What you'll read there will make you realize just how much of an impact reading and YA books have had on so many lives.

Sincerely,
A Huge Supporter of YA books

23 comments:

  1. Wonderful post. I saw the whole #YAsaves going on last night, but I had no idea what had started it. YA books are powerful - and they get teens reading. Gritty things are attractive to teens because that's what they see in the world - do you expect them to read about times of the past, when it was shocking to lose your virginity at 15 when half a freshmen class has in the RL?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lissa- Thank you! Exactly. I seriously read the article a couple of times trying to understand the bases for it and I'm still confused as to where all of this came from. Clearly they don't understand the power and need of YA books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was appalled by that article! I just couldn't see their point! Maybe YA books do have some nasty stuff in them, but the nasty things in the books are keeping kids from going out and doing the nasty things. The bad things in books make kids realize they're not alone. They teach lessons. There may be bad words in books, but it's no worse than what kids are already hearing in their environments. I'm wondering if the person who wrote the article has ever read a YA book or heard what kids have to say about YA. Their perspective might change. I totally agree with you Mundie Moms!

    -Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  4. I share your opinion and I congratulate you on that card so eloquent and respectful, but as quite capable of defending your position.
    For my part the YA novels were what finally made ​​me addicted to reading, due to them I found my best friends (who are addicted to this type of genre as well) and motivated and inspired one of my friends to exploit their skills as a writer Which I must say is pretty good.
    These books often means an escape from reality so hard that some people have, who has not wanted to be invincible and immortal as a vampire, having epeciales powers, or be able to kick ass from to the demons that haunt our lives, for my many of the stories are metaphors of how to deal with real life problems

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome post! I was on Twitter last night when the article was posted and then I participated in the #YASaves discussion until 1am. I couldn't sleep because I was filled with SUCH emotion, strength, empowerment, and PRIDE for the YA community.

    There weren't a lot of YA books in my library when I was growing up, but I wish there would have been. My parents have always been loving and supportive, but that doesn't guarantee a teen will make good decisions. I am living proof of that. Things happened to me that I didn't know how to deal with, and I couldn't talk to my family about. Yes, some of these things I brought on myself, but some of them I DIDN'T.

    At the age of 27 YA still helps me. It helps me cope with things that happened to me in the past. It gives me a sort of closure. Luckily I never gave up even though I wanted to SO many times.

    Reading YA inspired me to go back to school to get my Master's degree (and I just received the degree in the mail last week). YA inspired me to write what I want to write, and that is books for teens.

    In January of 2010 I was diagnosed with a chronic autoimmune disease. YA helped get me through my depression. My reading just fueled the need to write, and luckily reading and writing are two things I can do when this disease confines me to the couch.

    The YA community is only getting stronger, and I think we have done a fabulous job of proving that.

    -Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  6. I want to stand up and cheer for this! Thank you so much for saying what desperately needed to be said.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meredith- I wondered the same thing. I don't know how someone could read YA and then write that article.

    Stef- Thank you and so well said! YA & MG books are an awesome escape from realty and that article failed to mention that and all the good that comes from reading. Thank you for your comments!

    Courtney- THANK YOU so much for your comments! That is exactly why YA & MG books are so important. CONGRATULATIONS on our masters degree!! That is such a huge accomplishment. I'm glad you never gave up.

    Heather- Thank you so much! I was a little worried about posting this, but I couldn't help myself. I was up way too late last night taking part in the discussion on twitter. This article peeves me to no end. Thank you for your comment!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. *Applause*

    The Wall Street post made me want to tell them that the reason books are different from 30 years ago is because the world from then on, has changed.

    These books are so cathartic, they always help me. They have always helped me in so many ways.

    And the #YASaves posts are so inspiring. I hoe they are taking note of that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! You post is amazing. and I 100% support you on everything you said and YA. There were so few books out when I was a MG or Teen reader. I actually never read as a kid. If these books had been out when I was younger I would have been reading ALL the time! I too had a fairly normal childhood, but there are still issues that every teen has to deal with and knowing that there are others out there and reading their stories would have made life a little less uncertain. I too do not have teens, but I have read many books that I will definitely be handing over to my girls when they get to a certain age.

    Great post! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post. The author of that "article" seems to have her head in the sand. We're glad that most teens and teachers do not.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally agree with you on all of this! I also wrote a post about my thoughts
    here

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you! I don't have kids, let alone teenagers, but you can be sure that when I do I will be reading and discussing these books with them! Sometimes I think it's easier to talk about the "hard things" when they are about someone else (i.e. a character in a book).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great, great post, MMs. Well said for all of us parents who care to see a VARIETY of books represented on the YA shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just echoing everyone else in saying that this is a beautiful post. I feel disturbed when people think that YA has nothing to offer when it so clearly does. And it's not just teens who find encouragement from such books. I will always, always read YA fiction because, quite frankly, it tends to be well written and a lot better than all the 'adult' fiction that is around. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well put! It wasn’t just a bad argument (or unsound, I suppose) – but one of the most obviously one-sided “articles” I’ve ever read on the subject.

    I had to respond with my take on the issue as well. I’m more of a literature/classics reader, but I did become a strong supporter for YA and its benefits – “Darkness and Light in Young Adult Books” has my thoughts about the whole thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bee- Thank you and I completely agree! These books are a reflection on what's going on in the world around us and this kind of stuff needs to be in YA books.

    Tracy- Thank you so much! I have always been an avid reader but as an adult, YA books give me an escape from realty for bit, they help me stay open minded and they're also a great therapy after a stressful day. I wish I had many of the books that are out now when I was growing up. I can't wait to hand the books that fill my bookcases over to my kids.

    We Heart YA- Thank you! Either that or she's not read a recent MG or YA book and hasn't taken a good look at the world around her.

    Jess- Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!

    Kaitlyn- You are so welcome. Thank you for your comment! That is so true. I'm going to be reading all these books w/ my kids when they're teens and talking about it with them.

    Sophie- Thank you!!! Too bad they didn't interview us parents who read YA and have vast collections of YA books in our homes.

    JayJay- Thank you so much for your comment! I'm with you. I read YA because I love it, it offers me something ( an escape, makes me reflect, or think) and it often times is well written.

    Adam- Thank you and yes, that article was a horribly written one sided view. I'm looking forward to reading your post. Thank you for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You said EXACTLY what I was trying to express, albeit in a much more eloquent way :P

    ReplyDelete
  18. I couldn't agree more with your post!! thanks for this!!:D and I'm proud to say I'm one of the readers that was saved by so many authors in so many times that the WSJ wouldn't have enough time to go through all of my stuff!!:D

    ReplyDelete
  19. "They deserve to have books that reflect their reality. The good, the bad, the clean, the ugly and everything in between."

    I think that statement has some truth, but also misses the mark in that Literature, movies, etc., should not only portray "their/our reality", but should also set a standard and teach principles and ideals toward which we all should strive.

    If someone lives in the projects or a real life soap opera, will that person be better served by reading trash and smut, just because that's what surrounds them? or will that person be better served by reading and learning about what else is out there, what is better, and how to get to that better place?

    True, nobody may be well served by reading fluff literature of rainbows and lollipops, but nobody who lives and reads the gutter will be well served by so-doing, even if the "grit" 'feels real' to them.

    ReplyDelete
  20. That last anonymous post was from me. And I thought I should put my name with it. I can't be part of the choir on this.

    I think some people get caught up in the "people need to keep it real", and sometimes forget about the other side of it: "people need to know how they can (and why they should) change their world, rather than be changed by their world." *especially* as youths; and if we don't set some kind of standard, what are we doing for them?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Lane- Thank you for your comments. I personally feel YA books provide something for everyone. YA books aren't just full of the "real" dark things in life, nor are they all light and fluffy. There's a good chuck of YA books that are paranormal. There are also others that inspiring and thought provoking. Do all of them preach to a standard we should all strive for? Not at all. YA books span a wide range of topics and realities, but I have a hard time with comments being made about all YA books are dark is in my opinion ridiculous. The article failed to mention the vast collection of YA books out there and how readers have benefited from reading them. I also firmly believe that YA books should also mirror the darker side to society, as so many teens deal with that. That doesn't mean those books are taking over the YA genre, but those books need to be there for readers to have, to find support in and to help them find their voice.

    ReplyDelete

Labels