Mundie Moms

Friday, September 30, 2011

Banned Books Week: Day 7, Harry Potter

Harry Potter has got to be the most famous literary character of all time. I'd be shocked if there someone out there that didn't know this name. His stories are ones that children, parents and grandchildren have read, but did you know that the Harry Potter series is the #1 MOST BANNED BOOK from 2000-2009. Shocking isn't!


Why would a story that connects with so many people get banned. Sure, there's wizards, magic, adventure, paranormal characters of all sorts of shapes, sizes and kinds in this story. There's also meaningful themes about love, loss, family, friendship, bravery, courage and much more found within the pages of each of these books. Still not sure why this book, series has been banned? I don't either.

If someone tried to tell my kid they couldn't read the book, I'd plaster a note to the front of the book that gave my consent, or maybe I'd teach him to say some of the spells so he could say them to people who told him "you can't read that" which really translates to, "reading is ignorant". If someone were to tell me I couldn't read the book, I'd slowly slant my eyes, raise my wand up from behind on book and yell "Riddikulus" and go back to my reading.

I mean reading this book doesn't make me want to go jump on a broom and fly through the sky chasing a ball. It doesn't make me want to zap people with stick or go into a forest where a spider the size of the state of TX lives (okay maybe Oregon, shudders), or does it.....


The first three words that come to mind when I think of this series are: Magic, Friendship and Adventure. Though I may be one of a few people who's yet to finish this entire series, (don't worry I am & I'm currently half way through), I can't imagine banning this CHILDREN'S BOOK. I can think of a lot worse things my kids can be reading and doing than getting lost into the exciting, enchanting, unforgettable world of Harry Potter.


According to google/Wikipedia, as of June of this year The Harry Potter series has sold about 450 MILLION copies, been translated into 67 languages and the last 4 books have consecutively set records as the fastest-selling books in history! (quoted from here) This next month through Pottermore, fans will be able to purchase the books via ebook format.

8 comments:

  1. I love Harry Potter! Thanks for posting that video! I'm in tears from laughing so hard. Great way to start a Friday. Definitely makes me miss BYU, my Alma Mater. Divine Comedy is hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathryn- You're so welcome! That video puts me in tears every time I watch it. It's hilarious. That's my sister's Alma Mater as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very funny clip there from BYU :-) With all the things kids are getting up to that adults don't approve of, I'd hope reading HP was at the bottom of that list. #teamginny

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harry Potter is definitely one of the most well-known series throughout the world, and I've quite enjoyed the books and the films for the most part. :) A friend once said one reason the series might be "banned/challenged" is because is does show a form of anarchy in which the children are left to make the big decisions rather than the adults. But unlike other books where total chaos ensues (Lord of the Flies), Harry and the others are fighting for the good cause. So it really is ridiculous to see the series banned or challenged. Happy Banned Books Week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. MissEmmG- It's such a great clip! :) I agree, I hope HP is at the bottom of that list as well.

    DJL- Thank you so much for your comment. The fact that they fight for the greater good should be one of it's many saving graces from the banned list. This is truly one series I really don't understand why or how it's ever been on the banned books list. Happy BBW to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that video! I love the awkward moment when the spell worked. lolz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that clip was awesome. I am laughing out loud at my desk!

    I haven't read all of the Harry Potter Series either, but I am in the process. I've been reading them to my son for the past few months. Aloud and before bed, which is why it's taking so long! Ha, we're only about 1/2 way through #4. My son is 6, which is maybe a little young, but he absolutely LOVES listening to me read them to him. I couldn't imagine banning these books, they are so creative and wonderfully written.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gotta love BYU Divine Comedy!

    ReplyDelete

Labels