Mundie Moms

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Book Review: After Obsession


By: Carrie Jones & Steven E. Wedel
Published by: Bloomsbury Teens
Released on: September 13th, 2011
Source: ARC from TLA/book from publisher to review
4 stars- It Liked It

Aimee and Alan have secrets. Both teens have unusual pasts and abilities they prefer to keep hidden. But when they meet each other, in a cold Maine town, they can't stop their secrets from spilling out. Strange things have been happening lately, and they both feel that something-or someone- is haunting them. They're wrong. Despite their unusual history and powers, it's neither Aimee nor Alan who is truly haunted. It's Alan's cousin Courtney who, in a desperate plea to find her missing father, has invited a demon into her life-and into her body. Only together can Aimee and Alan exorcise the ghost. And they have to move quickly, before it devours not just Courtney but everything around her.

Filled with heart-pounding romance, paranormal activity, and rich teen characters to love-and introducing an exciting new YA voice, Steven Wedel-this novel is exactly what Carrie Jones fans have been waiting for. Meet your next obsession (quoted from Goodreads)

This story is a thrilling mystery of terror, possesion and has the right amount of creepiness that kept me intrigued with the story and had me wanting to put it down all at the same time. As I mentioned in another review, I'm a total wuss when it comes to stories like this, but Carrie Jones and Steven E. Wedel have created story that has more than just creepiness to it. Their alluring Native American legend, well written and at times swoon worthy romance and intriguing characters kept me invested in this fast paced read.

This is not all what I was excepting, and I was pleasantly surprised with the story line. I liked the alternating points of views, I loved the Native American lore and the big role that plays in the story. I think that's something that's refreshing and not often found in YA books. I'm going to admit, that Carrie and Steven did a great job at freaking me out with their possession. That stuff already freaks me out, but the way they tie the River Man and what he does to the residents in this small Maine town is both intriguing and terrifying, and yet I kept reading the book. I wanted to know what he was going to do next, who his next victim was going to be and how Alan's Indian Warrior Spirit and Aimee's paranormal ability were going to stop him.

The setting is beautiful and perfectly fitting for the book. The romance is well written, sizzling, believable and one of the things I enjoyed the most about the story. After Obsession is definitely an intense, hair raising, scary good read. It's a book that had me jumping at sounds during the middle of the night. I'd definitely recommend picking this book up, and reading during the day light hours.....

5 comments:

  1. Great review I'm REALLY looking forward to this one. I'm a total wuss too but I still love horror and thriller books/movies. This sounds awesome!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Giselle- Thank you so much! I'm such a wuss that I won't even watch horror movies, but for some reason I will totally read the books. This one is definitely a great one to read. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't sure I was going to read After Obsession - it didn't really look like my thing. But the fact that you said it's creepy definitely makes me want to read it ASAP. I hate horror movies….but I love being scared? Is that weird? Anyway, good review - I can't wait to see what I think!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh, I hadn't heard much about this one but it's on my tbr pile. I didn't know there was native american lore in it, I love that! And the creepiness, count me in. I'm definitely reading this one soon! =D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tara- LOL not weird at all. I'm the same way. I went from reading Anna Dressed In Blood to this. Both books definitely have the creep factor going on. I hope you enjoy it! I'm excited to see what you think about it.

    Cynthia- I'll give it to you at the ATBF!!

    ReplyDelete

Labels