Mundie Moms

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Book Review: Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare **spoiler free**

To wrap up our Clockwork Prince release day celebrations I wanted to share my review, which I know might seem silly to post again, since I posted it here weeks ago. This is truly such a fabulous read! Cassie is a brilliant author who knows how to create a world that makes you feel like you're apart of it. She creates characters that you fall in love with and she's not afraid to rip your heart out, break into a million pieces and piece it back together again, nor is she afraid to make her characters suffer in ways that pulls your into their stories emotionally. Cassie does all this an more with Clockwork Prince. Below you can read my original 5 stars, SPOILER FREE review.

Released on: December 6th, 2011 TODAY
Source: ARC from publisher to review, bought
5 stars: Absolutely BRILLIANT!

In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray has at last found safety with the Shadowhunters. But that safety proves fleeting when rogue forces in the Clave plot to see her protector, Charlotte, replaced as head of the Institute. If Charlotte loses her position, Tessa will be out on the street and easy prey for the mysterious Magister, who wants to use Tessa's powers for his own dark ends.

With the help of the handsome, self-destructive Will and the fiercely devoted Jem, Tessa discovers that the Magister's war on the Shadowhunters is deeply personal. He blames them for a long-ago tragedy that shattered his life. To unravel the secrets of the past, the trio journeys from mist-shrouded Yorkshire to a manor house that holds untold horrors, from the slums of London to an enchanted ballroom where Tessa discovers that the truth of her parentage is more sinister than she had imagined. When they encounter a clockwork demon bearing a warning for Will, they realize that the Magister himself knows their every move and that one of their own has betrayed them.

Tessa finds her heart drawn more and more to Jem, though her longing for Will, despite his dark moods, continues to unsettle her. But something is changing in Will; the wall he has built around himself is crumbling. Could finding the Magister free Will from his secrets and give Tessa the answers about who she is and what she was born to do?

As their dangerous search for the Magister and the truth leads the friends into peril, Tessa learns that when love and lies are mixed, they can corrupt even the purest heart. -quoted from Goodreads

What a fabulous, sigh worthy, at times hysterical and other times rip my heart out brilliant sequel! Cassie has a talent for toying with not only her character's emotions, but her readers's ones as well and boy does she know how to make me laugh, sigh, cry, break my heart & make me fall in love with her characters. With Cassie's writing I'm not just connected with her story, but I find myself completely immersed with her storyline, her world building, her characters and the setting. Cassie has a way of making everything she writes about feel real and lively. While I'm reading her book I feel like I've been transported to Victorian London for an unforgettable adventure with Will, Jem and Tessa. Clockwork Prince is definitely one of those unforgettable stories fans won't be able to forget. With it's twists, heart break, betrayal, love and so much more.

Big sigh. I am in love with Cassie's characters. They're so well developed that I feel like I'm reading a story about people I know. I love how invested she allows me to become with Will, Jem, Tessa, Magnus and each of the characters from Clockwork Prince. Each of their stories come to life and intertwine so beautifully. Their emotions, their thoughts and the motives for their actions are incredibly realistic and engaging. I loved seeing how this series ties in with The Mortal Instrument Series, with the Lightwoods and Wayland families, as well as Magnus and a couple other names that will be familiar to fans who have read City of Glass. Oh Magnus, I didn't think I could love him any more than I already did.

There's so much I want to say about Will, Jem and Tessa. Can their stories get any more heartbreakingly beautiful? Their are the type of characters you can't help but love despite knowing that something is going to happen to one of them that will rip your heart out and leave you wondering how you could have so helplessly fallen in love with them. At the same time you wouldn't trade feeling that way even if you had known the outcome. These are characters that you laugh with, cry with, sigh in frustration over, get mad at and in the end love them for who they are, despite some of their not so stellar moments.

Tessa is a true heroine is every aspect of the word. She continues to be my favorite female character. She's strong, independent, and one of the most trusting, and forgiving characters who has a way of seeing the good in people who don't see it in themselves. She is loving, and courageous. She's intelligent and witty, and she's my all time favorite heroine. Her character growth in Clockwork Prince is so beautifully written. Jem and Will match her growth perfectly. The are so well written, and after finishing this story they've now claimed the number one spot for my all time favorite love triangle, moving Jace and Clary to second place. That's saying a lot.

Clockwork Prince is my FAVORITE of all of Cassie's books. This surpassed all of my expectations and in true Cassie form, completely surprised me with her twists. She gave me answers to questions I had from Clockwork Angel, and left me with more questions for Clockwork Princess. She gave me romance, plenty of sarcasm, wit, plenty of laugh out loud moments, one liners that have become some of my favorite quotes, moments that made me cry that were either joyous ones or ones of utter heartbreak. She again gave me a believable world where Shadowhunters and Downworlders really do exist, and her Victorian London is a place I could really go visit.

I can not possibly list all the things I love about this book. Cassie is a phenomenal writer. Her awe inspiring, beautifully crafted, and engrossing talent for writing a series that's complex, and simple. It's a perfect blend of historical, steampunk and paranormal, that leaves me more than satisfied and wanting so much more. It's bloody brilliant! This book is dare I say it, a perfect steampunk, paranormal, YA read! This is beyond a 5 star book for me. I HIGHLY recommend picking this book up! In fact, be like us and pick up a few copies. LOL I'm looking forward to sharing my review for the CP audiobook later this month.

Be sure to go HERE to listen to Cassie's interview with Ed talking about the audiobook.

5 comments:

  1. *sighs* There's only one thing to say to this: CP will be mine as soon as possible. If this truly is a favorite out of ALL of her books, there has to be a reason right? And after that hell of a cliffhanger, I'm dying for the story anyway.

    Beautiful review. Have an amazing reading week, girls!

    - Asher (from Paranormal Indulgence)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Asher- Thank you so much!! Yes, you definitely have to own this for yourself! There's so much that happens in this story. It's truly beautiful and heartbreaking all at the same time. Thank you for your comment. You have a wonderful week as well. I hope you get to read CP soon. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really is a beautiful and heart breaking story (my heart is just all torn up right now), and I agree it has to be my favorite one too. Ms. Clare's writing is always wonderful, but the feelings that came through her words with CP are extraordinary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so excited for CLOCKWORK PRINCE. It is what I'm going to treat myself with as soon as exams finish next week!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Malissa- I completely agree with your comments. Cassie has a talent for bringing the emotions from her book to life, which is one of the things that draws me to her books.

    Kris- That is a fabulous treat!!! You deserve it :)

    ReplyDelete

Labels