Mundie Moms

Monday, February 6, 2012

Author Interview: Veronica Rossi

I'm extremely excited to have Veronica Rossi on Mundie Moms today!! I am in love with her debut, Under A Never Sky. If you've not picked it up yet, I highly recommend that you do!


Thank you so much for joining us today Veronica! Sophie and I both LOVE your debut book! The title is so fitting for the book. Did you choose Under The Never Sky as your title?


Thank you so much! I’m so happy to be here. OK! Down to business: I knew that, because of the Aether, the sky would play a major role in the trilogy. When I wrote that line of dialogue in the story, it struck me as the right title. Fortunately, my agent and editor agreed!


We LOVE your world building. It's fascinating to have characters who can create their own reality, and to have a setting that felt like it's own character. What inspired your world? If you could, what kind of reality would you pick for yourself?


The world was inspired by a number of different factors. I think a good deal about technology and the influence it has on my life—so that shaped the Dweller world. I also have always loved weather… My moods can be so tied to whether I see rain, sun or snow outside, and I wanted to create that link between the characters and the Aether. Along the same lines, I love the power that things like fire and the ocean have over us. Why is a campfire so mesmerizing? Why is the sound of the ocean so soothing? Does it connect us with some deep, primal part of ourselves? I’m starting to get a little carried away here J But those are some of the questions I played around with to create the Outsiders. Essentially, the world resulted from me riffing on—and contrasting--past and future.


And as for which reality I’d pick…. probably art Realm! There are so many paintings I’d love to step into. I also have an obsession with ancient Rome so maybe I’d go there, too.


I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the history between Roar and Perry. They're friendship and respect for one another is so well written. Roar has quickly become a favorite of both mine and Sophie's. Was their friendship based on one you knew in real life?


Thank you! I love hearing this! I didn’t base them on anyone in real life. I just had a strong sense for their dynamic from the start. There’s a lot of mutual admiration and loyalty between them. For a while, I thought I was going to write Roar’s from point of view for the second book, so I really wanted him to be intriguing and present in a concrete way in the first book.


Is there one scene you kept editing till you got it just right for the story line or did you just scratch the scene and write a new one?


To be totally honest, most scenes were like that! There were a few that landed on the page very close to how they ended up. The rooftop scene, where Aria sings to Perry, was one of them. I did very little revision on that one. Same with the berry scene!


Is the opening line in the book the first line you wrote? If not, what was the original opening line?


That was it! Almost every other line changed, but that one stayed


Which of your characters has surprised you the most in terms of how much they grew from first draft to published book?


Hands down, this would be Cinder. Originally, he was close in age to Perry, Roar and Aria. I kept writing and writing, really struggling to find him. It wasn’t until I made him younger that he clicked into place and became much more dimensional and interesting to me.


If you could write in one of your favorite fictional characters into your story, who would that be and why?


Oh, this is a fun question! I’d love to either bring Lyra (His Dark Materials/Phillip Pullman) to the outside world, or Titus (Feed/MT Anderson) to the Dweller Pod. Both characters made tremendous impressions on me.


We loved your character chemistry, not just with Perry & Aria, but with each of the characters! That near kiss with the berries is AWESOME! Who's one of your favorite YA couples (I know that's hard to choose)?


Another great question… This is a little obscure because they’re secondary characters, but I was incredibly drawn to Finnick and Annie in THE HUNGER GAMES trilogy. I adored Finnick’s swagger and his devotion to her, and wanted them to be happy so badly!


Thank you Veronica!

Thank you so much!



Be sure to follow Veronica via her Website | Blog | Twitter | on Goodreads | Facebook

*********


Since she'd been on the outside, she'd survived an Aether storm, she'd had a knife held to her throat, and she'd seen men murdered. This was worse.

Exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland - known as The Death Shop - are slim. If the cannibals don't get her, the violent, electrified energy storms will. She's been taught that the very air she breathes can kill her. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He's wild - a savage - and her only hope of staying alive.

A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry views Aria as sheltered and fragile - everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he needs Aria's help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption. Opposites in nearly every way, Aria and Perry must accept each other to survive. Their unlikely alliance forges a bond that will determine the fate of all who live under the never sky. -quoted from Goodreads

If you haven't had the chance to pick up Under the Never Sky, what are you waiting for!?! I LOVE this book! It is a brilliantly written debut and I highly recommend picking up.

********

You can purchase Under The Never Sky from: Harper Teen | Amazon | Barnes & Noble |IndieBound

Browse inside the book via Harper Teen

You can read my 5 star review here

16 comments:

  1. Great interview!! I adored Under the Never Sky. Definitely one of my favorite books of ALL TIME! Love that berry scene :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's definitely one of my all time favorites as well! :)

      Delete
  2. Great interview ladies! I'm a huge fan. Veronica is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great interview! I'm ready for the next book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome interview! I love Finnick and Annie, too! Thanks for sharing and bring on book two :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great, great interview! I just got this book and I'm so excited. I think it's going to be the next one I read. I'm trying to really mix up what I'm reading so nothing feels the same and I don't compare books. I've done that in the past and oh, has it been a problem. I think I'll need to come back and re-read the interview after I've read the book so I can reflect on each of the scenes you discussed. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! YAY! I'm so glad you got the book. I hope you love it. I have to mix my reading books up as well, or else I get too burnt out on one genre.

      Delete
  6. Awesome, fun answers! Great interview, MMs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a wonderful interview - I loved the questions! But also, I'm such a fangirl of Under The Never Sky - I remember calling it one the THE best debuts this year (Yes, I know the year just started) but this book was one of the best ones I read lately!
    The unique world (thanks for this question!) and the characters ... *sigh* Yes I'm in love :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am too! I LOVE this book!! I agree, it is one of THE best debuts for this year. In fact, it's really set the bar high.

      Delete
  8. Great interview. I loved Veronica's book too. I'm giving away my ARC on my blog in two weeks to share it with someone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How awesome! I'll be on the look out for your giveaway announcement and help tweet it.

      Delete

Labels