Mundie Moms

Sunday, February 12, 2012

Book Review: Audrey, Wait! by Robin Benway


Publisher: Penguin Group USA
Release Date: April 10, 2008
Source: Purchased

5 out of 5 stars - put this one on repeat

Synopsis: When her ex writes a break-up song about her that rockets up the charts, Audrey is suddenly famous--she can't go out without being mobbed by fans and paparazzi. Readers can take a wild ride with Audrey as she makes headlines, confronts her ex on MTV, and shows the world who she really is. This irresistible, fast-paced novel has a totally hot new paperback cover! Its the song everyones singing. And its about her! But for Audrey, becoming famous overnight equals total, life-changing disaster. . .

Do a search for "songs with girls names in the title" and you'll be surprised at the amount of songs that are listed. Whoa. There are a hundreds of them. In fact, each generation seems to have their fair share of these songs. Now imagine if you were THAT girl. Wouldn't you want the world to know your side of the story?

Robin presents us with just that plot. I have to admit I liked Audrey from these opening lines:
The day I broke up with my boyfriend Evan was the day he wrote the song. You know, the song. I'm sure you've heard it. Maybe you danced to it at prom or sang it in your car on a Friday night when you were driving and feeling like you must be inhuman to be this happy, the windows down and nothing but air around you. Your mom has probably hummed it while cleaning the dryer's lint trap, and your grandpa has most likely whistled a couple of bars if he's the whistling type.

According to the poll on the front page of USA Today, sixty-three percent of Americans blame me for the breakup, so let me clear the air right now.
You get an idea of her voice -- she's strong, no-nonsense (well as much as any junior in high school can be) and she is well grounded (with help from parents who care and a BFF who is fierce in her loyalty). What Audrey is not prepared for is the sheer volume of fame that such a song brings with it.

Huge props to Robin for writing one of my favorite plot types. You know the one where everything-that-can-go-wrong-will? Yeah, that's exactly what happens in Audrey, Wait! But this is far from a predictable plot, it's filled with a cast of characters that are so relatable I felt I knew them (much like I did Audrey) from the very first moment I read them. I found myself turning pages just to make sure things turn out all right for all of them.

I won't spoil it for you, I promise, but when you're faced with life-changing moments such as a ex's song shooting up every known music chart on the planet, things do change and you adapt to those changes. Robin also wrote in something that I love. And it's in the romantic subplot of the story. There is both kindness and pain in discovering who your true love really is and who your true friends really are. Robin does this beautifully.

Audrey, Wait! is available in both hardcover, paperback and ebook at most of your favorite book retailers. I encourage you to check it out. On a personal note, it's such a great feeling to discover a new author that I love. Robin has a second book out, The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May and June. Yes, I bought it and I'm looking forward to meeting more of her incredibly written characters.

9 comments:

  1. Great review! I've been wanting this book since like forever! Just waiting for the mailman to deliver this. I so look forward for this one=D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Fara. Hope you like it, too. It's really well written and I was in the mood for a good story.

      Delete
  2. HOW had you not read this before now! One of the funniest books ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gabrielle - I did hear of ot and it was in my TBR but what can I say except I'm a mom of three kids and somewhere between school drop off/pick-up, volunteer work, ballet, swimming and scouts, I just couldn't find the time...until now. But, but, but...I LOVED IT!!! Feel free to rec more like it!

      Delete
    2. *ot = it See, I can't spell either. ;) Thanks for reading the post!

      Delete
  3. Great review Sophie! I need to go pick this book up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely LOVED Audrey, Wait! it made me laugh out loud more times than one...by the way did you know Robin Benway wrote another book? i'm going to try to get it because im pretty sure it's going to be as funny as Audrey, Wait!..in case you want to read it, it is called "The Extraordinary Secrets of April, May, and June"..
    Bye thank you for the review

    Leilany Rose, 9th Grader :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leilany Rose - Thanks for your sweet words. I did look to see if Robin wrote another book and when I saw that she did, I ran out to the store to get it. Looking forward to reading about April, May and June.

    ReplyDelete

Labels