Mundie Moms

Monday, February 13, 2012

Interview w/ The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight author Jennifer E Smith

I'm delighted to have The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight author, Jennifer E Smith on Mundie Moms today! This is one of my favorite debuts from this year and if you're looking for that perfect romantic book to read on Valentine's Day, I highly recommend picking it up. It also makes the perfect Valentine's gift *hint, hint* to anyone looking for a book to get their favorite person.


Hi Jennifer! Thank you so much for joining us today! For our followers who haven't yet picked up your book, how would you describe it in 5 words or less?


Girls meets boy on plane. (That’s three fewer words than the title!)


What inspired you to write Hadley's story? I'm sure there's a few of us Mundie Moms who have fantasized about meeting our true love in an airport.


I wanted to play around with the idea of fate and explore the way even the smallest things can change everything. For some reason, this is always especially on my mind at airports. Whether you miss your flight, or you switch to an earlier one, or your plane is simply be delayed, there are so many different ways the equation of your day can be altered. And since so many love stories already depend on timing and chance, it seemed like a great way to illustrate this.


What's something that surprised you about both Hadley and Oliver's characters? Didthey turn out the way you envisioned them when you first started drafting them?


I think the biggest surprise was how naturally their relationship developed. Originally, I had envisioned the book as taking place over a long weekend. I wasn’t sure if I’d be able to tell a love story realistically in just twenty-four hours. But as soon as they were on the plane, everything between them began to unfold in a very organic way, and everything sort of took on a new momentum from there.


We adore YA books with romance, snark and of course a London setting, which your book has. What inspired you to set part of your story in London?


When I started writing this novel, I’d just recently returned from a year abroad in Scotland. I had two friends who were living in London at the time, and I used to go down and visit them fairly often. I love the city, and I was so enamored with the UK – I still am! – and since I knew the flight would be overnight, it seemed natural that they’d be headed in that direction.


What's the best advice you've received from a fellow author?


My pal Justin Cronin (author of The Passage) once told me, “You have to write the book you want to write.” It sounds deceptively simple, but it’s great advice. You should always tell the story you’re passionate about, not the one that you think might appeal to a bigger audience or a wider market. There’s an authenticity to books that come from the heart, and I think you can tell the difference when that passion isn’t there, and the story feels a bit more manufactured. Always write the book you want to write – not the one you think you should.


Do you believe in love at first sight or have you ever experienced it?


I’ve never experienced it myself, and to be honest, I never even thought about it muchbefore I wrote this book. But I do believe it can happen. (Though I haven’t figured out the exact statistical probability yet!)


Which fictional character would you like to sit next to on a trans-atlantic flight?


Can I pick Oliver?


Thank you Jennifer for joining us today!
Please be sure to follow Jennifer on her Website | GoodReads | Twitter



Published by: Poppy
Released on: January 2nd, 2012

Who would have guessed that four minutes could change everything?

Today should be one of the worst days of seventeen-year-old Hadley Sullivan's life. She's stuck at JFK, late to her father's second wedding, which is taking place in London and involves a soon to be step-mother that Hadley's never even met. Then she meets the perfect boy in the airport's cramped waiting area. His name is Oliver, he's British, and he's in seat 18C. Hadley's in 18A.

Twists of fate and quirks of timing play out in this thoughtful novel about family connections, second chances and first loves. Set over a 24-hour-period, Hadley and Oliver's story will make you believe that true love finds you when you're least expecting it -quoted from Goodreads

You can order it from: Amazon | Barnes & Noble

You can read my 5 star review here and my character interview with Hadley here.

8 comments:

  1. The Statistical Probability of Love at First Sight was just so awesome! Love this interview!

    Fara @ Tumbling In Books

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to read this book ASAP! I hear so many great things about it. Great interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cari! It's such an awesome read! I think you'll love it!

      Delete
  3. What a wonderful interview. I loved this book! It's one of my favorites I have read this year. And the writing is just so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Her writing is fabulous. I'm so glad you loved the book as well.

      Delete
  4. Its the best romantic read since Anna and the French Kiss

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got this one as an audio book, just waiting to be listened to. I can't wait. Great interview. I loved reading it.

    ReplyDelete

Labels