Mundie Moms

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

ONYX by Jennifer L. Armentrout




Published by: Entangled Publishing
Released on: 8/14/12 - TODAY
Source: ARC from publisher to review
4.5 stars: I Really Enjoyed It!
Purchase from: Amazon | Barnes & Noble


Being connected to Daemon Black sucks…
Thanks to his alien mojo, Daemon’s determined to prove what he feels for me is more than a product of our bizarro connection. So I’ve sworn him off, even though he’s running more hot than cold these days. But we’ve got bigger problems.
Something worse than the Arum has come to town…
The Department of Defense are here. If they ever find out what Daemon can do and that we're linked, I’m a goner. So is he. And there's this new boy in school who’s got a secret of his own. He knows what’s happened to me and he can help, but to do so, I have to lie to Daemon and stay away from him. Like that's possible. Against all common sense, I'm falling for Daemon. Hard.
But then everything changes…
I’ve seen someone who shouldn’t be alive. And I have to tell Daemon, even though I know he’s never going to stop searching until he gets the truth. What happened to his brother? Who betrayed him? And what does the DOD want from them—from me?
No one is who they seem. And not everyone will survive the lies…

What happens when you take one hot jealous alien, the new kid in town, and mix it up with some hot character chemistry, a little bit of danger and a ton of fabulous snark? ONYX. This book upped the fabulous one liners that only Kat can deliver and dosed the pages with that sizzling chemistry we've all come to love between Daemon and Kat. But it wasn't just the back and forth comments that these two dish out to each other that had me laughing, it was Daemon's jealous side. Oh yes, Daemon and his jealously are a bit comical in this book and the fact that he purposely kept calling Blake (the new kid) a different name each time he mentioned was hilarious. I swear only Daemon could pull this off. 

I am a sucker for some seriously well written character chemistry and we all know how hot Daemon and Kat's was in Obsidian. With Onyx I liked that while Jennifer progressed their relationship and took it to the next level in this book, it wasn't done right away. It was like this slowing burning build up until something happens during one scene and then all the walls come tumbling down. *sigh* I sat there re-reading that scene with this stupid grin on my face, because of everything that was transpiring. I swear fans who love Daemon will fall for him even harder in this book. He definitely has a side to him that we haven't seen before and judging by Kat's reaction, neither had she. IF you've read the book you know the scene I'm talking about, and if you haven't you'll know the scene when you read it. It's so heartbreakingly awesome! That says a lot without saying anything at all. 


The thing that surprised me with this book was how much more I loved Daemon and how frustrated I got with Kat. It was a reversal from Obsidian. All joking aside, I really got and understood Daemon's actions in this book. I got what motivated him to do the things he does, and felt the same frustrations he had. Kat on the other hand really got on my nerves a few times and had me wishing I could tell her to wake up and stop with her lame excuses. Don't get me wrong, she started out having some believable concerns/doubts about Daemon's feelings for her, and I totally got that, at first. I also got her wanting to prove she could take care of herself and that she wasn't going to let others tell her what she could and couldn't do (high fives for being a stubborn, because I totally relate to that). After awhile I started to get frustrated with her, because no matter how many times things were said or done to dissolve those doubts, I felt like she would come up with some other excuse to fight the way she was feeling. Luckily Daemon's a patient guy, and he knows that eventually Kat will be saying something he's waited along time to hear. 


Jennifer does a great job at allowing Kat to make her own choices, no matter how frustrating those choices may be. Her actions and choices do have consequences and lead to some shocking secrets and some devastating things that transpired towards the end of the book. Staying true to this series's storyline, ONYX also has a more series tone to it as well. There's a lot more danger, something that doesn't add up with the new kid, people get hurt and yep, someone dies and let me just say this book definitely toys with all your emotions. What I loved about Jennifer's writing in this book is she knows when to include the humor and those hot little scenes between Daemon and Kat, and when to keep the storyline more serious. She never throws everything at her readers all at once, but instead she steadily progresses her storyline page by page. With the new threat that's now in town, there's a lot Daemon and Kat have to be worried about. I loved the action scenes that came along with that threatening danger. I can only imagine what will happen in Opal. 


Fans of Obsidian with love all they encounter in ONYX. This book is full of swoon worthy moments, sweet moments that will take your breathe away, action, danger, and a few surprises. I highly recommend picking this on up TODAY! Don't miss my interview with Kat & Daemon & enter to WIN a set of the Lux series HERE

4 comments:

  1. Awesome review!! I loved this book so much!! I didn't think I could love Daemon any more, but man was I wrong!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So glad you loved it as well. I agree, I was surprised at how much more I loved Daemon in Onyx.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read this series yet, but I've been meaning to! Sounds like I'd better get my bum in gear and pick up Obsidian!

    ReplyDelete

Labels