Mundie Moms

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Book Review: The Marked (A Talents Novel) by Inara Scott


Published by: Hyperion Teen
Released on: April 3rd, 2012
Source: arc from author for review
4 Stars: I Enjoyed It
Purchase from: Amazon | Barnes & Noble

All of her life, Dancia Lewis has wanted to use her powers for good. And now that she's learned the truth about Delcroix Academy—and herself—she may just get the chance. But being part of Delcroix's top secret Program isn't anything like Dancia expected. She has to ask herself: what happens to the Talented kids who refuse to pledge their loyalty to the Program? And why did her friend Jack run away rather than join? Dancia's adorable boyfriend Cam insists they need the help of every Talented student to defend Delcroix from dangerous enemies outside their gates. But Dancia has to wonder: what if Delcroix's most frightening enemies come from within? - quoted from Goodreads

In this second installment in the exciting Delcroix Academy series, Inara Scott dives right back into the world I fell for in The Candidates. Just like the first book, The Marked is a book that's full of tension, twists and the right amount of romance. I liked that while the first book introduced me to the characters,  built up the series's world, and allowed me to see what was going on at the academy, The Marked  gave me characters who grew a lot more, unveiled some shocking surprises, and dove deeper into this complicated world. There's new characters who are introduced to the storyline, a lot more danger, and the right amount of action that kept me turning the pages.

I really liked the direction the characters grew in this book. Danica learns a lot more about herself, and the power she can control. She also finally starts to stand up for herself more in this book, well I should say she stands up to Anna more. I just wish she would have done so sooner. Cam and Jack are both still very much apart of this story line. I have to say, up until something happens I still liked Jack. I was secretly hoping something would change and he'd, well I don't know, be back in Danica's life like he was in book 1. Part of this story's excitement and twists come from the role Jack plays in this story. Then there's Cam. Cam, Cam, Cam. There's still something about Cam I don't like, but at the same time there's something about him I can't help but like. I know that doesn't really make sense does it. I guess for such a smart guy he just doesn't get it sometimes, and I wanted him to catch on to what was going on at the Academy sooner that he did. There's so many sighworthy moments between him and Danica I couldn't help but over look the minor irritations I had with him, and like him more. 

There's something about this world that fascinates me. I don't know if it's the beautiful northwest setting that seems a perfect fit for all that goes down, or the fact this world is set within our own that intrigues me. There's still plenty of danger lurking around the Academy, and a huge twist in the storyline definitely puts everyone who's there at risk. I love that this is a no brainer, really fun read. It's nice to just sit down and read a book that just flows, doesn't over do it with the descriptions, heavy writing or all that's going on. It has the right of amount of everything in it to keep the story line exciting. I like that's not a complex read, but one that just goes. Be rest assured that once you start reading this book, there's no stopping till you're done. If you're looking for a fun, clean cut read that's a little different, is about teens with extraordinary powers, has some strong characters, a bit of action and some romance I'd recommend picking this series up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels