Mundie Moms

Sunday, December 2, 2012

Shadowhunters and Downworlders: A Mortal Instruments Reader



Sophie first mentioned the Shadowhunters & Downworlders free sneak peak here, and Cassie recently posted about it here. Here's what she said:

So Smart Pop Books has put up the introduction to Shadowhunters and Downworlders, which is their collection of essays on The Mortal Instruments and Infernal Devices. And these essays are written by amazing writers, who tackle everything, and I do mean everything:

“Inside you’ll read:

Much naughtiness within, it seems. The essays:

“Unhomely Places”  by Kate Milford

“The Art of War”  by Sarah Cross

“Sharper Than a Seraph Blade” by Diana Peterfreund

“When Laws Are Made to Be Broken”  by Robin Wasserman

“Simon Lewis: Jewish, Vampire, Hero”  by Michelle Hodkin

“Why the Best Friend Never Gets the Girl”   by Kami Garcia  

“Brotherly Love”  by Kendare Blake

“Asking for a Friend”  by Gwenda Bond

“(Not) For Illustration Purposes Only”  by Rachel Caine

“The Importance of Being Malec”  by Sara Ryan

“Villains, Valentine, and Virtue”  by Scott Tracey

“Immortality and Its Discontents”  by Kelly Link and Holly Black

“What Does That Deviant Wench Think She’s Doing? Or, Shadowhunters Gone Wild”  by Sarah Rees Brennan

You can also read my introduction about how I came up with the world and characters of the Shadowhunters, which may just be the thing I point to now and forever whenever people ask me where I got the idea for the books. :)

“I set about to people my world: I knew I wanted the story to center on a tough, strong girl with a reckless streak and a big heart. So Clary was born. I wanted to give her a best friend who would always be there for her, since the romance of a great friendship has always fascinated me. Along came Simon. And I’ve always loved the fair-haired rogue with a biting sense of humor who used that humor as a defense mechanism—and then there was Jace. Brave Isabelle, thoughtful Alec, zealous and misguided Valentine, supportive Luke, wise and wild Magnus, all came along gradually, spinning relationships between themselves as they grew.”
Cassandra Clare, Introduction to Shadowhunters and Downworlders 

2 comments:

  1. How much fun. I can't wait to read Holly Black's essay, and don't you know that Sarah Rees Brennan's essay is just too, too funny....

    ReplyDelete

Labels