Mundie Moms

Thursday, February 7, 2013

Thoughtful Thursday: Why I Read, My Personal Experience With Reading


I often times get asked "Why do you read so much?" "Why do you read YA?" "Why do you have so many books?" First, there is no such thing as having TOO many books. I would rather surround myself and my kids with books to fuel their imaginations that let them spend hours watching mindless TV. Plus books also make great decorating pieces, but that's for another post. Second, I read YA because I want to. I love it, but I also read more than just YA. Lastly, there is NO such thing as reading too much. (As if) lol. For my real answer on why I read, because of what reading has taught me and done for me. 




I am fascinated at how one book, and even a series, can bring so many readers together through out the world. It's amazing to me, when I sit back and think about it. I've made so many friends world wide all because of a books. I love the power and unimaginable friendships one books can have. It's fascinating to think about the impact a book can have on 1 reader, and the ripple effect it causes. I have made so many life long friends through books. I don't know where I'd be without some of them. 

It's true what they say about books. Books are our friends, our saviors, our hope, the life vest we hold on to when all else around us seems lost. Sometimes books are the only thing we can turn to when no one else is there. I know this from personal experience. I don't often get personal on my blog, a down fall of mine I know. Lately I've reflected a lot about what it is about reading that I've always been passionate about. Sure, through the years that reason changes, but for me reading in my adult years became my saving grace. Long before there was Twilight, and The Mortal Instruments series, there were other YA books that my friend Stephanie introduced me. She doesn't know this, but she got me reading YA at a time I needed it most. Dealing with depression, postpartum depression isn't something  I openly talked about with many people. In fact, no one but my husband and doctor at this time knew I was dealing with it. No one really talked about it and I felt like everyone would shun me and treat me differently. Even to this day, not many people know I dwelt with and still deal with depression. 

So, books became my outlet, and in turn it grew into something much more. When I first started reading it became a place I could go to get away from myself, if that makes sense, and it became a place for me to openly accept what I was dealing with. I did a lot of reading up on and researching on depression, but nothing seemed to help me cope with well, me. Sure reading about what other women and moms were going through helped me a bit, but I needed something more. Something outside of reading about depression. When Stephanie introduced me to Shannon Hale, Melissa Marr and few other authors, I was hooked! This LOVE of reading YA (yes I was someone who until this time would have never touched a YA book, I was one of "those" people) lead to Twilight, which lead to The Mortal Instruments series and then the creation of Mundie Moms. Through love of reading I've gained friendships I wouldn't have other wise made, achieved and done things I never ever thought possible. All because of books! You want to know what else is funny, and totally off topic, when I was in grade school I was in special reading classes because I couldn't read well. True story. I got made fun for it too. Now I look at the books that liter my house and think, "I sure proved them wrong!". 

Stephanie had no idea what she had unleashed within me when she let me borrow a couple of her books to read. Once I started reading I couldn't stop. I renewed my own love of reading. To be honest, I hadn't read much since out of college, but from that moment on through today I've read more books than I could have ever dreamed possible. Each of the these stories have given me something I never thought I could take out of a book. I'm not just talking YA, though that is a lot of what I read. I rediscovered that books can be gateways and doors to other worlds. They can lead us to a reality we want to create for ourselves. Sometimes they are the vacations we never get to take in the real world, but most importantly books educate us. They make us think. They open our minds. They create readers, and dreamers, leaders and followers. They can make us stronger, and break our hearts. They give us characters we want to hang out with, and introduce us to worlds we want to explore. Books can be inspirational, motivational, educational and sometimes simply irresistible. 



There's something about a book that can renew our faith, and give us confidence. Books give us shelter and a place we can call our own. They provide a secret place for us to hide away in. In books we can find support. Gain confidence. Find a new friend. Books can give us comfort. Help us find our voices, and sometimes our ways. They become our dreams, and help us dream. A Book is more than just pages bound together. A book can give us wings to fly with, and pull us back off that cliff we're about to jump from. A book is a lifeline, a friend, and sometimes it's everything in one. Why do I read? Why wouldn't I read?!



Why do you read? What motivates you to read?

* Aside from the pictures used and credited in this post, these words are my own personal thoughts and feelings on reading. Please do not use or quote any part of this of post.

13 comments:

  1. seriously a break from the household duties and books have always been my friends while growing up. Hugs for going through that experience...never went through it. I got into reading YA because I know that it changed and I wanted to be an informed parent of what was out there. I don't want to limit my daughters from reading...but my YA is different from now a days YA.

    I too have made so many wonderful friends through book blogging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! A break from the mundane things is so nice! Reading is my "me" time. I swear I'd go insane if I didn't get that little break. lol

      I wish we had a YA section back in our day. There was no such thing as YA or MIddle Grade. Stephen King books were next to Little House on the P when I was in middle school.

      I love that blogging has created so many amazing friendships.

      Delete
  2. I love this post, Katie. I've blogged in different capacities for a few years, but since I've been YA blogging in particular, it's been amazing to see how a shared love of reading can bring people together. There's nothing quite like it when someone else gasps over the same scene you did, or when it makes them cry or laugh or even want to throw the book across a room.

    Thanks for sharing how books helped you when you were struggling, too. The last year and a half was literally the hardest time I've ever gone through in my life, both personally and as a blogger--but it was books, and the book community, that saved me. Whether my heart ached for Tessa Gray or whether my imagination took flight with Clara Gardner, sharing those experiences with fellow booklovers helped me forget a little of my own frustrations and worry.

    And it's amazing how someone can help transform your life when they don't even know it! Thank goodness for those random angels. :)

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thank you so much Wendy! I've been blogging for 9 years now, and there is something different about the book blogging community that makes it stand out in the blogging world as a whole. I love that books are what bring us all together, especially when those who don't get books understand what's it's like to get just one more page, or why we lose sleep over reading. They get reading. :)

      You're so welcome! HUGS to you!! I love what you said, that "it's amazing how someone can help transform your life when they don't even know it!" That is so true! I've felt that happen time and time aging through reading and through Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids. It's an incredible thing!

      Thank you for sharing your story!! I really appreciate it. :)

      Delete
  3. Amen. Amen. Amen. A shared escape. A solitary refuge. A place to hide or to heal inside. Books are all these things. Thank you for the true, heartfelt, BEAUTIFUL post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, THANK YOU for your lovely comments! "A solitary refuge"- love that! That is so true!! Thank you for taking the time to read this and commenting. I truly appreciate it!

      Delete
  4. Beautiful post. I was the same way, not reading much in school because I was learning disable. Now I'm constantly reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I so agree with you Katie. And thanks for sharing so much personal about yourself. I don't blog about personal stuff much either but I'm always glad when I do.

    Books have always been my best friend. I didn't have many friends as a kid and read all the time. Like you, in college and law school, I couldn't read much for pleasure and then started reading non fiction a lot. Once I adopted my daughter, I started fiction against at the end of my hectic days of working and parenting and loved it. Like you, I read all the time. It's gotten me through some really hard times, like my sister's death, my husband's very serious health issues, and now my upcoming layoff next year when my company closes. So you're not alone in loving books and finding they help you can through things.

    When you get depressed, remember what a great person you are and what a service you do here by posting so much about wonderful books. You're one of my favorite blogs and I find many of my books through you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for Natalie! Sometimes I get so focused book wise with my blog, that I forget to be a little more personal on here. It's one of my goals to do so more this year on the blog.

      I'm so sorry to hear about your upcoming lay off and all you've gone through. I'm so happy to hear we share that love of reading that's helped us through those difficult times. In reading it's nice to find a story that we can relate to, and one that can help us escape for a bit. I'm grateful to those authors who stories have helped me in so many ways, and they don't even realize it. I'm equally grateful to the blogger friends I've made who's comments, tweets, emails, messages etc have done wonders for me, and they don't even know it. :)

      THANK YOU! I truly appreciate that. :)

      Delete
  6. I really appreciate this post!! I am a mom of 2, which is stressful in it's own way, but also struggle with OCD, which can cause a lot of anxiety at times and like with your depression, reading has become an escape for me!! Ever since I started reading A LOT my stress level has dropped immensely! It's amazing how a good book can change your mood of the moment or even your entire outlook on life!

    I am a newbie blogger, but I am already seeing how amazing the YA community is and I can't wait to get to know more and more of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your story...
    I am horribly shy have been since childhood, my
    safe place... my happy place is to cliimb into a book and
    escape...I have visited some wonderful places and meet some amazing people all inside the pages of a good book. As a wife, mother, I have a busy schedule but I always find time to curl up with a book everyday...It is my ME time...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful post! Book Bloggers have helped me through so much that I am forever grateful to the ones I call my friends. Including you. (((hugs)))

    ReplyDelete

Labels