Mundie Moms

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

GODDESS by Josephine Angelini, Book Review


By: Josephine Angelini
Published by: Harper Teen
Released on: May 28th, 2013 TODAY
Source: arc from publisher to review
Series: Starcrossed #3
5 Stars: I Loved It Purchase from: Amazon | Barnes & Noble
Add it to Goodreads

After accidentally unleashing the gods from their captivity on Olympus, Helen must find a way to re-imprison them without starting a devastating war. But the gods are angry, and their thirst for blood already has a body count.

To make matters worse, the Oracle reveals that a diabolical Tyrant is lurking among them, which drives a wedge between the once-solid group of friends. As the gods use the Scions against one another, Lucas’s life hangs in the balance. Still unsure whether she loves him or Orion, Helen is forced to make a terrifying decision, for war is coming to her shores.
In Josephine Angelini’s compelling conclusion to the masterfully woven Starcrossed trilogy, a goddess must rise above it all to change a destiny that’s been written in the stars. With worlds built just as fast as they crumble, love and war collide in an all-out battle that will leave no question unanswered and no heart untouched.


GODDESS is a action packed, romance fueled story that will toy with your emotions. It will  have you feeling happy and sighing one moment, and totally heartbroken the next. With war on the horizon, friendships are tested, sacrifices are made, hearts are broken, and crucial choices have to be made. WOW! This book has it all. Josephine Angelini wraps up this series perfectly. Everything that has happened in this series so far was leading up to what plays out in the series's final pages.

With Goddess we not only get a more indepth look at the mythology and world these characters live in, and create, but we see the history, and the love and heartbreak that some of the characters and the Gods have dwelt with. In seeing this, and getting bits and pieces of their back stories I felt it was easier to understand what drove some of the characters to make the decisions they made, both in the past and presently. Some of them are still dealing with consequences from those action, and others are seeing how their actions effect others now. Helen's choices have consequences that will effect everyone, including the two people she loves, and the Gods they don't want to anger. 

These characters are awesome. Really. I love how they were molded from mythology that makes up their stories. I've always found this mythology to be romantic, as much as it is brutal. Aside from the Gods, some of the characters grew into characters who became more romantic, and some became more brutal. I love it when a story, it's mythology and characters all compliment each other the way it has in the STARCROSSED series. I loved seeing the characters grow and change, while also getting a deeper look into the Greek mythology and the intense, captivating world Josephine has created. She has done such a stellar job at creating a mythology that is truly unique to her own story, as well as staying true to the over all mythology. 

 Though this story centers on Helen, there are so many outstanding characters who help bring her story to life. I can't even pick a favorite character anymore. I loved what evolves in the story with Matt, Hector, Andy, Orion, Lucas, Helen and Claire. Ooh there are some relationships that start that I wanted more of! I fell even harder for some of the characters in this series with this book, which I didn't think was possible. Some of them surprised me with the direction in which they change and grow in and others shocked me with the relationships that start between in them. I hope there's some sort of spin off with this series, because I seriously want more. 

I love it when secondary characters shine like the ones in this series have, both good and bad. Talk about some twists.... yep, this story has them. Above all, I really liked the way Helen has grown, and how she learns to embrace who she is, and her powers. Part of this book is seeing her do that, and the rest of the book is seeing her in action. Aside from the rich friendships in this series, I LOVED the romances in this book. Yes there is heartbreak, but there are also plenty of moments that more than make up for that. Even with the romance, the friendships are what stood out the most to me. 

 After reading Dreamless I didn't think this series could get any better, than I read GODDESS. WOW! I love it when an author creates a story with characters I want to spend more time with, and a world I love discovering more of. Josephine Angelini has given me all that and more with this series. With GODDESS, Josephine provided the perfect ending for this captivating series. I'm looking forward to reading whatever it she's working on next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Labels