Mundie Moms

Thursday, September 12, 2013

TIMEPIECE by Myra McEntire, Book Review



By: Myra McEntire
Published by: Egmont USA
Released on: August 6th, 2013
Source: book from publisher to review
Series: Hourglass #3
4.5 Stars: I Really Enjoyed It
Purchase it from: Amazon | Barnes & Noble
Add it to Goodreads

The stakes have risen even higher in this third book in the Hourglass series.

The Hourglass is a secret organization focused on the study of manipulating time, and its members — many of them teenagers -­have uncanny abilities to make time work for them in mysterious ways. Inherent in these powers is a responsibility to take great care, because altering one small moment can have devastating consequences for the past, present, and future. But some time trav­elers are not exactly honorable, and sometimes unsavory deals must be struck to maintain order.

With the Infinityglass (central to understanding and harnessing the time gene) at large, the hunt is on to find it before someone else does.

But the Hourglass has an advantage. Lily, who has the ability to locate anything lost, has determined that the Infinityglass isn't an object. It's a person. And the Hourglass must find him or her first. But where do you start searching for the very key to time when every second could be the last?


I hate it when a series has to end. Why do they have to end!?! Seriously! I'll be honest, I've been so excited to read this book, but yet I didn't want to read it, because then that would be the series was really over. See, a series can be over, but if I have the book, and let it sit on my shelf, or pet the cover over and over again and never open the book to read, then the series couldn't really end for me. I know some of you know what I'm talking (I swear I'm really not that crazy). Really, I was excited to read Infinityglass and of course about Kaleb. Okay, maybe more like I was hoping I would get to read a little about my favorite character of Myra's. Instead of getting a story about him again, I got a story about Dune and Hallie (yes Kaleb is in this book, and so is Michael.... I had to say that for Sophie). 

I loved having the whole gang together! Myra does a fabulous job at introducing readers to a couple new characters (DUNE), while bringing back the favorites (KALEB) that we fell in love with the in the first books in the series. And there's also those not so awesome characters that are back as well. You know the ones I'm talking about, like Jack Landers, Poe (I actually liked him in this book, and his shocking twists) and a few others who made those not so smart choices and one or two might have tried to kill some of our favorite characters and may have betrayed a character or two.... well that's just say their stories wrap up as well in Infinityglass. Everything I've wondered and questions gets answered by the time Infinityglass ends. 

Oh and that ending. There are times when I like to have everything wrap up nicely, and other times I love it when the book ends on a bit of an open ended ending. Infinityglass has both, and I loved it. The only other thing that would have made it better was ending on Kaleb in the kitchen.... err I mean, well let me back up really quick. If you don't know what I'm referencing then you really need to read the series. I will say, as much as I love Kaleb, this story is all about Dune and Hallie, though Kaleb, Michael, Em, LIly and everyone else are in the book. Sure I adored Dune, but he's definitely not Kaleb. Sorry, no one more mentions of Kaleb.....

Hello Dune and Hallie! These two have that snark, sass and oh yes, they have plenty of hot little moments together that we've come to except from Myra's characters. Dune is definitely a character fans are going to love, as is Hallie. To be honest, I liked both characters right off the bat, but as the story went on I began to love them as much as I love the rest of the series's characters. By the time I got to the end of the book I loved the two of them. I felt that Dune and Hallie are such a perfect addition to this series. Now I will say I didn't like that their relationship took off so quickly, BUT,  but it was obvious they were attracted to one another, they had great chemistry, and over the course of the book the two of them learn to trust each other and open to one another. These two have their secrets, and I'm not just talking about their individual special powers like the other series characters have. 

Speaking of characters, I loved how Myra made Dune and Hallie's story their own, yet worked it into the over all series storyline with the rest of the characters. I especially loved that Kaleb and Dune go back a ways, and that Dune turns to him and the others for help. I loved the twist with Poe (oh yes, it's surprising). I liked that Hallie fit right in. She is snarky, feisty, and boy, if she had met Kaleb earlier on in the series, those two would have had readers seeing fireworks. I love the scene with her and Kaleb. There's a lot that was said, and yet a lot that wasn't, but enough was conveyed during their brief moment together that I felt like I got to understand her more. More importantly, I love the scene right after with Dune and Kaleb. Sure it's a brief one, but I liked the role that Kaleb plays in both of their lives at this moment.

Infinityglass is that fitting ending you want in a series. It has a lot of swoonworthy moments, plenty of character chemistry, snarky comments, betrayals, danger, and oh yeah, characters whom you want to hold onto for just a little bit longer, and say good bye to just yet. If you've read the series, I highly recommend picking up Infinityglass. If you've not yet read the series, go pick up Hourglass now! 


1 comment:

Labels