Mundie Moms

Friday, August 19, 2016

We'll Always Have Summer by Jenny Han / Flashback Friday: Book Review


By: Jenny Han
Published by: Simon and Schuster
Released on: April 24, 2012
Series: The Summer I Turned Pretty #3
Purchase from: Amazon | Barnes and Noble | IndieBound | iBooks | Book Depository
Add it to: Goodreads
Source: Purchased
Rating: 4 stars - I enjoyed it

* * * SPOILERS FOR THE FIRST TWO BOOKS IN THE SERIES * * * 

It's been two years since Conrad told Belly to go with Jeremiah. She and Jeremiah have been inseparable ever since, even attending the same college-- only, their relationship hasn't exactly been the happily ever after Belly had hoped it would be. And when Jeremiah makes the worst mistake a boy can make, Belly is forced to question what she thought was true love. Does she really have a future with Jeremiah? Has she ever gotten over Conrad? It's time for Belly to decide, once and for all, who has her heart forever. 

This is the third book in the Summer I Turned Pretty series (links to my reviews for book #1 , The Summer I Turned Pretty and book #2, It's Not Summer Without You), and it finds Belly aging two years to the summer after her freshman year in college. While I spent the first book wondering if Belly would end up with either Jeremiah or Conrad, and book two wondering if Conrad could be a bigger butthead, this book left me wondering if either Fisher boy was right for Belly.

Right away you get the idea that lighthearted, happy-go-lucky Jeremiah may not be the ideal match for our yes, still very, very, very naive (to the nth power) Belly. There are obvious hints that he's a party boy, maybe too involved in his frat and not so involved in his academic pursuits. But, Belly brushes all that off until THE ONE THING THAT HAPPENS (I know I promised I was going to try to keep it as spoiler free as possible, but it's so hard because this is the third book in the series). While, Belly tried to reconcile this ONE THING, her best friend, Taylor (yes, the very one who was on the outs in the previous book) became her voice of reason and best supporter. I grew to adore Taylor's dedication to party planning, friendship and choosing all the right accessories. It almost made me forget that ONE THING.

But sadly, the ONE THING led Belly and Jeremiah down a plot that left me, frankly, eye-rolly. It became a very predictable and plodding cliche. I found myself desperate for the slightest mention of Conrad, who appeared at moments when I thought I may just give up on this series. But, I plowed on, and I'm glad I did. In this last installment, it is very obvious that Conrad matured the most out of all the characters. He finally seemed to have direction, and the angst (understandable with the way his father treated his mother, their inevitable divorce and the return of her cancer) he felt in books one and two had dissipated. What was left was a guy who cared for his brother, and even above that, he cared for Belly. He reminded me of my very favorite, literary hero -- Mr. Darcy. He was proud, stubborn, but in the end, he acquiesced and did the right thing. His character arc bumped the book from 2.5-3 stars back up to a solid 4.

How was the ending? It was logical and everything that I wanted it to be, at least in that moment. Belly is still far too innocent to be entirely believable. Conrad is very heroic. Jeremiah is flawed, but a goofball. Long term, would either relationship work out for Belly? I'm in the camp that it wouldn't because eventually, Belly would come to a firm understanding of who she is, and that would change the dynamic between her and either boy. Jenny Han does pick a side, and like I mentioned above, it was a good, logical, horribly romantic pick.

Summer is still in full swing according to the temps in my neck of the woods. So, a story about a girl and two boys she sees only over summers accompanies this August heatwave nicely. Pick up the series and come back here to let me know your thoughts.

2 comments:

  1. Just, gooosh. I could never read these books, haha :) I would hate the romance waaay too much :( Sad face. But ahh, I am so glad that you enjoyed it so much Sophie :D Lovely review, as always. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carina - LOL! Well, they are probably not the right type of stories for you! The love triangle was very believable, I swear!

      Delete

Labels